Finding a Houston Criminal Defense Attorney is not hard. Chances are, if you need one, you are going to be contacted by many. What is tough is finding a Criminal Lawyer in Houston that you can trust. I have been a Houston Criminal Defense Attorney since the first day I was licensed in the State of Texas. In my blog I hope to have an avenue to share my thoughts, and hopefully give advice to those needing the assistance of a good criminal lawyer in Houston.
The first thing I advise anyone who asks me about hiring an attorney is to make sure you personally meet with every attorney that you are interested in hiring. All too often (my law firm being no exception), individuals just hire an attorney over the phone. I just think it makes more sense to go in and have a face to face consultation. Most consultations are free, so there is little excuse for not making time for such an important decision. There are three main reasons I believe consultations are better in person:
- You have the opportunity to see the person who is going to represent you. The last thing you want is to walk into court not knowing who the heck your lawyer is. Meeting an attorney in person prevents the awkward moment in court where your lawyer has to say your name because he has no clue what you look like. You also might not want to hire an attorney if he doesn’t present himself professionally. Meeting him before will give you an idea of how the person carries himself from one day to the next.
- You get to see the environment where your attorney works daily. A lawyer’s office can tell you a lot about how he is going to handle your case. Is his office a mess? Are there piles of trash in the corner? Does he even have a physical office? Does he seem organized? These are all things that are impossible to determine over the phone.
- Your lawyer can get a better feel for you, and for your case, in person. Sometimes it’s about what’s best for the lawyer too. It is hard to read people over the phone. Many times an individual’s physical traits or demeanor can help an attorney decide what the defense of a case is. It’s always best for your lawyer to know as much about you as possible prior to getting to court.
Overall it is a win/win for a client/attorney when the consultation is in person. I know it’s tough to miss days from work, but many attorneys (myself included) are available on weekends and evenings to meet. Picking a Criminal Lawyer in Houston is an extremely important decision, and you owe it to yourself (and your record!) to inform yourself to the best of your abilities prior to signing an attorney/client contract. If you are facing a criminal charge and have any questions or would like to set up a free consultation , please feel free to contact me at 713-222-2828.
Latest posts by Eric Benavides (see all)
- (English) Truth Between You and Your Lawyer - julio 28, 2016
- (English) When to Turn Down a Dismissal - julio 27, 2016
- (English) Pretrial Intervention Program for Retail Theft - julio 26, 2016