Harris County’s new program, the First Chance Intervention Program has been initiative by the DA’s Office, in cooperation with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office and the Houston Police Department. It is for individuals caught with a class B amount (0-2 ounces) of marijuana.
Eligibility for First Chance Intervention Program
A person is considered a first offender and is eligible to participate in the First Chance Intervention Program program if he or she:
- Is detained or arrested for possession of marijuana, 2 ounces or less;
- Possesses sufficient identifying information;
- Has no additional charges out of the instant detention/arrest (other than Class C tickets);
- Has no outstanding warrants or holds (including Class C charges);
- Has no criminal convictions as an adult (Class B offense or greater);
- Has never received probation or deferred adjudication (Class B offense or greater);
- Is not currently on bond, deferred adjudication or probation (Class B offense or greater); and
- Has not previously participated in this program or another pretrial intervention program.